How to apply the “Dominating Attribute” visual principle
October 4, 2017
October 4, 2017
- Client: Swedish bank and one-click payment system Klarna.
- Agency: Nord DDB and directed by The Perlorian Brothers.
- Platform: Instagram.
- Backstory: As part of a larger campaign that started last year, and in support of Klarna’s new Website launch, Nord DDB repurposed this video clip on Instagram last month, and created a viral sensation (31k views, and 300 comments).
Why does it work?
- Brand attribute: The clip works because it takes one dominating feature and taking it to the extreme to demo the key value benefit of the product. In this case, how smooth payments can be using the service – and blow it up to the extreme by using a swimming “mermaid” Afghan dog. The same principle was successfully used in the famed Blendtec’s Will it Blend YouTube campaign.
- Emotion: The target emotion is a sheer surprise, coupled with pet always-high likability factor.
- Repurposing: Great illustration of how to recycle content from a longer commercial that was syndicated on TV to Instagram.
- Trigger caption: The Instagram caption is: When you’re swimming into the weekend like… #noworries is a great example of how to prime your audience to respond. And indeed, their audience completed the story in their heads with a ton of interpretative comments.
- Business objective: Speaking about the customer’s “Road of Trials,” this clip demonstrates how you can stage wow moments for your audience, at the top funnel to drive positive brand awareness leveraging Instagram.
- Relevancy to VSI Framework: Transform your meta-story into a mini visual story that matches your buyer’s stage in the journey and platform culture (Story Making > Story Visualizing > Story Telling in our framework). Klarna’s meta-story commitment to SMOOTH payments is effectively visualized to trigger emotional resonance and then story-told leveraging Instagram’s visual grammar.
Looking for a custom Visual Storytelling
workshop around your product?
Schedule a conversation
Source: Visual Storytelling